Friday, March 20, 2009

Variety Friday: The "ayes' have it

My poll regarding using a ratings system has pretty much run its course and the votes for a ratings system outweigh those against it by a sizable margin. I've been pondering a unique system and have settled on one which is related to one of my earliest and greatest loves in Japan and that is sumo wrestling. The round faces with chonmage hair styles will appear at the bottom of reviews from now on providing a quick view of how I regarded the product. Consider their faces a reflection of my emotional response to the product.

Here are the ratings and explanations (the real ratings graphics will not contain explanations):







And, just for the record, I'm aware that I should be writing "sumo wrestler". ;-)

Thanks to everyone for voting and for reading!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the new rating graphics, very cool idea. I don't watch sumo wrestling unless I'm at my parent's house - they sort of get into it, and I can't help but watch too. I like when the smaller sumo wrestlers win =)

Orchid64 said...

Thanks, Bryan. I gave it a lot of thought, and far less drawing time. ;-)

There used to be a very short little fire plug of a wrestler named Akinoshima who had the nickname "Giant Killer" because he toppled lots of really big guys. Often he did this with "hatakikomi" or by stepping aside during the initial charge and pushing his opponent (who was off-balance and moving fast) down or out of the ring. Akinoshima often lost to little guys or wrestlers of his own rank, but could beat the grand champions (Yokozuna). Of course, part of the reason for this as that yokozuna weren't allowed to use hatakikomi and lower ranked wrestlers were. Yokozuna are supposed to win by more direct and skillful ways rather than stepping aside or simply pushing people out of the ring.

But then I do go on about such things. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sappy sumo? What on earth is that?

Orchid64 said...

That'd be a stylized "h". ;-)