Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Random Picture 59

Strawberry and chocolate dacquoise on sale at a Family Mart convenience store.

Food fads are so common in Japan that they overlap. Mostly, we see a certain type of food (like rusks) spread while a certain flavor also starts to proliferate. Right now, orange seems to be the flavor du jour. Entire displays of orange-flavored snacks are in some convenience stores. Rusks are still running their course as a fad, but I think they're petering out and I think that dacquoise, a French confection with a meringue base, may be poised to jump off the mark as the next food fad. My feeling is that dacquoise are the logical next step in the long-running popularity of macarons, and they're not as delicate and easier to put in shelf-stable packaging.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to send you a batch of Macaron's soon, I promise! I really must give dacquoise a try, I have not made them before = )

Happy Belated Easter my friend.

Orchid64 said...

Thanks for the greeting (and the card), and for the macarons offer, but please don't put yourself out. Of course, I love, love, love macarons, but I'm pretty sure I don't deserve any! ;-)

Happy belated Easter to you, too!