Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Random Picture #87

Yeah, my nails are a mess. I do a lot of dishes by hand. Give me a break.

I've purchased taiyaki, fish-shaped cakes filled with beans, custard, or other things, before, but only in a "specialty" form using tapioca flour. I've also had a "cousin" of theirs, imagawayaki in frozen form. Despite walking past a traditional taiyaki shop several times a week, I have never purchased a fresh one for immediate consumption. A few weeks ago, my husband headed off for America for a week and I was left all alone so I decided to comfort myself and finally take the plunge. I picked up this warm, fresh number at Koenji station for 130 yen ($1.60). It's on the smallish side, but was a great size for a snack. The outside was a little crispy and extremely bland. It was more akin to a monaka shell (like a cake cone) than a pancake or waffle (which is what some of the shells are like). The custard inside was warm, very sweet, and had a good vanilla flavor. All in all, it was a delicious combination of varying textures and flavors and delightfully fresh. I'm sorry that I waited so long to get one. If you are in Japan or are coming here, take advantage and get one sooner rather than later.

3 comments:

Paul said...

I absolutely love taiyaki but eat them sparingly because I just know that there is too much fat and calories :(

Kevin said...

Taiyaki is one of my favorite things about Japan, though they are just as often to sell you ones that have been sitting in the window for fifteen minutes, getting nice and cold and chewy rather than hot and crispy...

That being said, new flavors every season keeps me coming back...

gretchen said...

If you really like taiyaki, go to the mother of all taiyaki shops in Azabu Juban: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:Naniwaya_sohonten_azabujuban_minato.JPG

amazing! cheap! long lines!