Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pure Grapefruit Honey and Peach Mango Gummy (product announcement)

Image from Kanro.

One of my friends recently remarked on Facebook that part of the process of making gummi candy involves boiling animal bones. She's a vegetarian, so this was something of concern to her and she wanted to let other friends who may subscribe to her moral code know to avoid such candies. I'm rather torn at this point about whether or not to warn her about marshmallows as well, as they also often contain gelatin derived from animal products.

The rational side of me, which I try to keep firmly in check at all times, would also like to point out that this is actually not food that contributes to the death of animals. No one is killing animals to boil their bones for gelatin products. It's actually finding a use for the parts that are leftover after all of us savage omnivores have consumed the flesh. My guess is that, if we all stopped eating meat, then all gelatin-related products in America would cease to be made from bones and would be made the way they are in Japan, from seaweed. I don't think people would be raising cows to toss their meat in the trash and boil the bones.

The good news is that I can recommend Japanese marshmallows and gummy/gummi candies to her and she can enjoy them without violating her personal ethical code. Since Pure keeps offering up new and interesting flavors, there's no end to the fun you can have sampling their candies. And, they are good gummies. I've tried a lot of them and rarely disliked one. Okay, I really didn't care for the apple and ginger ale one, but the rest were quite nice.


There are actually three new flavors on offer, but I couldn't put them all in the headline. There are the grapefruit and honey and peach mango flavors pictured at the top of the post as well as a yogurt mango flavor shown above this paragraph. It's clear that mango blends are one of the more popular food fads right now. Mango has been in the spotlight for a few years now, and clearly it's popularity has not waned. The yogurt and mango flavor features a split color scheme, supposedly featuring one flavor on each side. It was released in June. The other flavors will be available at the end of the first week of July at convenience stores. 

5 comments:

丹丹 said...

As a vegetarian I used to make exceptions for gelatin because of the same reasons you mentioned. Later, I changed my mind. Usually I'll let fellow vegetarians know about marshmallows and gummies so they can make informed decisions.

However, I've found that marshmallows are almost always made with gelatin regardless of origin. I think they just don't get as fluffy otherwise. Recently I've been able to secure a stash of Dandy's Vegan Marshmallows, and they are definitely not as soft and puffy as normal 'mallows. (Though, rest assured, this is not detracting from my enjoyment at all. I just wish they weren't so sweet >.<)

Also, I've found Hi-Chew uses gelatin. Which is sad, because they are delicious.

hellokitt9 said...

Lots of Japanese gummy candies and other jelly foods are not made with bone gelatin is is made with agar agar gelatin that comes from red algae so it is safe for those who don't eat meat

Cybele said...

Wha? The Pure Gummis are made without gelatin? The packages I get (imports) have a sticker label that says gelatin. Is that a mis-translation?

Unknown said...

I'm Japanese, so I often eat Pure Gummy and other snacks made of gelatin. However I have never considered those from the vegetarian point of view.
Nowadays there are some kinds of gummy candies made of agar, it's good news not only for the vegetarian but also Non-vegetarian(because agar is healthier).

Unknown said...

Royal Honey For Men Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me.